Self-Paced Online Courses
Self-Paced Online Courses (SPOCs) are Online Asynchronous courses taken in a Fall or Spring semester and completed, at the student's own pace, by the end of term.
Fall 2023 SPOC Offerings
- CSS 1302: Speech for Business and Professional Students
- CSS 3312: Nonverbal Communication
- ENG 1310: Writing and Academic Inquiry Seminars
- ENG 2310: American Literary Cultures
- HIS 1300: The U.S. in Global Perspective
- HIS 3380: History of Texas
- LING 1305: Language in Society
- PHI 1301: Introductory Topic in Philosophy
- PHI 1309: Introduction to Medical Ethics
- PSC 1387: The U.S. Constitution, Its Interpretation, and the American Political Experience
- PSC 3301: Scope and Methods of Political Science
- PSC 3304: Comparative Politics
- PSY 1305: Psychological Science – Understanding Human Behavior
- PSY 3321: Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 3341: A Survey of Human Development
- REL 1310: Christian Scriptures
- REL 1350: Christian Heritage
- For students who are unable to maintain full-time status due to temporary personal situations the opportunity to make academic progress while away from campus.
- Options for full-time students who need flexibility in order to graduate during their last semester at Baylor.
- For students who have left the University with 15 or fewer hours (roughly one semester) remaining to finish their degree from another location.
- Providing outstanding high school students an opportunity to get a head start on their college career and to explore the Baylor curriculum.
- Providing non-degree-seeking students an opportunity to gain new knowledge and skills.
- A student must be a previously enrolled full-time Baylor student, a currently enrolled part-time Baylor student, a graduating senior,* a High School Accelerate student, or a non-degree seeking student before he/she may register. Full-time Baylor students not in their final semester are not eligible.
- Baylor students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
- If the Baylor student is on academic probation, he/she must have at least a 2.5 cum GPA.
*a graduating senior is defined as a student with 21 or fewer hours remaining and who has filed for graduation with their respective Dean's Office.
- A maximum of 15 semester hours of SPOCs may be earned for credit toward a degree conferred by the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Baylor students may take no more than 3 SPOCs during one semester. HS Accelerate students may not take more than 1 SPOC during a semester.
- No SPOCs may be taken during the summer terms (including Maymester) or during Wintermester.
- Tuition is the same as for regular courses for part-time Baylor students and non-degree seeking students. Full-time students who are eligible for SPOCs are under flat-rate tuition and incur no additional fees.
- High School Accelerate students are charged tuition at a rate different from Baylor students.
- Textbooks are not included in tuition payment.
- There are no fees associated with SPOCs, but students must have computers and reliable internet access.
Registration & Completion:
- Eligible Baylor students and non-degree-seeking students may register for a SPOC between the 6th class date and not later than the end of the 7th week of the fall or spring semester.
- Accelerate High School students may register for a SPOC, via advisor, up to the start of the semester.
- A SPOC may not be dropped after the 50th class day of the fall or spring semester.
- The grade for SPOCs will be assigned at the end of the regular semester through regular processes.